How It Works
Renting a Flat with SuiteLife Barcelona (Medium & Long Term)
If you’ve never rented an apartment in Barcelona or you’re already a seasoned flat-hunting veteran, this info will explain to you the entire process from beginning to end. The more you know about this process the better you’ll be prepared scoop up that perfect flat before someone else does!
- 1. Get in touch:
- SuiteLife Team members are available 24 hours/day to help you. Take the first step and use one of the many ways to Contact Us.
- 2. The more info the better:
- The golden rule is that the more info you can provide us on what you are looking for, the easier it will be for us to help you. If you call us we’ll ask you some basic questions off the bat, which are designed to quickly identify your most important requisites and see how we can best help you. Our Service Request Form is a great way to get the ball rolling. Fill it out, hit Submit, and we’ll be in touch in no time (within 24 hours but usually much sooner). Note: If you haven’t yet seen our constantly updated inventory of apartments in Barcelona then please check out our Barcelona Long Term Apartments, our Barcelona Mid-Term Apartment Rentals or our Barcelona Short Term Apartment Rentals section.
- 3. Visits:
- Once we know what you’re looking for we’ll start setting up appointments for you to view a couple flats that best fit your requirements. We always coordinate times around your schedule so letting us know your availability is very helpful. Please keep in mind that some flats we can do showings for on weekends, evenings, late evenings, etc… However, as we work in collaboration with many other local companies we sometimes must adhere to typical Spanish visiting hours from 9:00 am to 2pm and from 4 pm to 7:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- 4. Documentation:
- This is a crucial part of the process and is often overlooked until the last minute. Once you find the perfect flat, you’ll get excited and say YES! I’ll take it… but unfortunately it’s not that easy. The next step after you find the ideal flat is to submit your documentation to us. We pass the info directly to the owner, who decides whether he finds you to be a suitable tenant. Your documentation consists of the following: * a) Copy of your DNI Spanish ID card or of your passport photo page. * b) Copy of your working contract. * c) Copy of your last couple pay checks. For many Barcelona newcomers this can seem a tad invasive, but it’s purpose is transparent: The owner needs to verify that you are serious but mostly that you are solvent and won’t have problems paying the rent each month. The majority of SuiteLife clients have no problems at all being accepted. You can gain a huge advantage in this part of the process by already having your documentation together before you start your visits. This way if you find something you love you can jump on it, submit your docs, be first in line to take the flat, and not worry about having someone else snatch it up while you’re running around making photocopies.
- 5. Reserving:
- Making a reserve payment on a flat, once you’ve decided to take it, is standard. For example, you are viewing flats in the middle of June but you want to actually move in on July 1st. SuiteLife will arrange a reserve for you. The reserve payment is usually equivalent to one month’s rent. Once you’ve reserved the flat, you can rest assured that all subsequent visits will be canceled and the flat will be held for you until the date you would like to sign the contract and move in. Keep in mind owners usually wont accept reserves for periods of time of more than a couple weeks, it’s done mostly so people can enter at the beginning of the coming month. When you meet to sign the contract and pay the rest of the outstanding monies, the reserve payment you already made will be deducted from the total due.
- 6. Payment, contract, & move in:
- Conditions: The most standard conditions for entering a flat in Barcelona, for working solvent people, are the following: – 1st month’s rent (or proportional amount if the tenant enters mid-month) – 2 month’s security deposit (This is given back to you at the end of your contract). – 1 month agency fee + IVA (18% VAT Tax). On the desired move in date, you’ll meet us at the apartment. We’ll go through the entire contract with you so everything is clear, you’ll sign, and get your keys! In order to sign and get the keys you must be paid up in full (see conditions above). You can either pay in cash at the signing or you can pay by bank transfer before the signing (in case of bank transfer please remember to get a transfer confirmation signed by your bank, it’s the only way we can know for sure that the transfer has been made)