How To Make A Spanish Omelette (aka Tortilla de Patatas) In Just 8 Steps!
How to make a Spanish Omelette
like a chef in just 8 steps ? Tortilla de patatas
; also known as Tortilla Española
or Spanish Omelette
, is one of the most well-known and delicious dishes in Spanish cuisine. If you're looking to make your own Barcelona Tapas
, then this is an easy one to make, but a hard one to master. In restaurants it is usually served either as a tapa or inside a baguette. It goes great with any beverage from vino tinto to cava or an ice cold Coca-Cola. Feel like a filling and cheap meal but you don’t want to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen? Maybe you're a bit lazy, had a long day at work, or just can't wait to be able to master a few typical Spanish dishes. This is just the blog you needed, and after a bit of practice and attention to our Tortilla de patatas recipe,
you'll be cooking like that Famous Ferran Adrià in no time!
How To Make A Spanish Omelette - Recipe:
All you need for a magnificent tortilla de patatas
(serves 4 people) is:
- 3 Medium-sized potatoes
- 1 Onion (optional)
- 3 Eggs
- oil (olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil are all good, but extra virgin olive oil will be tastiest)
That’s all folks, I’m telling you! Now, let’s check out those 8 simple steps to actually make that yummy tortilla Española
- First of all, you need to peel the onions and potatoes. That’s easy!
- Then, cut the onions in small and thin pieces. Pour a trickle of oil in the frying pan and fry the onions until you see that they are turning a nice golden brown.
- While the onions are frying, dice the potatoes, like you see in the picture below. Add seasoning of your choice, and add the potatos to the onions in the frying pan.
4. Over medium heat, fry them all together. The flavors will start to mix and mingle. Continue stirring it until they turn slightly brown.
5. Now you are more than halfway with your Spanish Omelette
. How easy is that ? Now remove the pan from the heat, and try to drain as much of the oil as possible without giving yourself 3rd degree burns.
6. Here come the eggs! Beat them in a bowl and add the potatoes and onions.
7. We’re almost done! If there’s no oil left in your frying pan, add a little bit. Then add the content of the bowl in the pan. Now cook your mixture first on high heat, until the eggs begin to solidify (about 30-45 seconds). Then switch to low heat until it's done.
8. Finally the tricky part: turn the tortilla de patatas
over and continue cooking on low heat, so both sides turn brown. Spanish Omelette
can be served hot or cold, how amazing is that ? the best ones are not overcooked and still maintain a bit of the runniness of the eggs!
Now we’re all set with the tortilla de patatas
. It’s easy, I told you! You can add so many other ingredients, perhaps some vegetables, seasonings, the world is your oyster!! I’m a meat lover, so I might add some diced ham or bacon.. Mmmm. I know what I’m gonna have for dinner tonight! If you feel like making a kick-ass Spanish gazpacho soup
as an accompanying starter, look no further!
We also made a video of Suitelife Kitchen cooking the Spanish Omelette
, check it out!